Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Once, Twice, Three Times the Turkey

Day 3. 

I had my first taste of curry in my early twenties.  I hated it.  My husband cooked dinner, and because this was romantic (and rare) I grinned and bared it, giving the curry dish lots of insincere compliments. 

Next month he made dinner again.  And can you guess what he made?  My self-proclaimed favorite: Curry! 

Serves me right.

Surprisingly, though, the second time I actually liked it a little bit.  The more often I ate it, the more it grew on me.  And now...well, now I'm borderline obsessed with curry, and below is my favorite recipe.  We usually make it with scallops, but it works with poultry too. 

There are lots of options when it comes to curry powder -- red, yellow, green, sweet etc.  Curry is simply a mix of twenty or so different spices, rather than a spice unto itself like pepper.  The ingredients usually include turmeric, cumin, and cayenne pepper.  They vary in heat, so buy it in small quantities until you find one you like best. 

This recipe also calls for coconut milk, but if you don't like coconut (and are, therefore, against all things good and holy), feel free to use regular milk.

Coconut Curry Turkey

1lb cooked turkey, chopped into bite-sized pieces*
1 T butter
1 T curry powder
1 T all purpose flour
2 scallions, chopped (from last night's bunch, bonus!)
1/2 cup chicken broth
1/2 cup coconut milk (shake the can first)
2 tomatoes, chopped

* If using raw meat or fish, cook it in and extra 1 T of butter first and then set aside until step 5.

1. Melt the butter in the pan.

2. Combine the curry powder, flour, and scallions in a small bowl.

3. When the bubbles in the pan subside, stir the spice mixture into the butter. Cook for one minute.

4. Slowly pour in the chicken broth and coconut milk, cook until thick and bubbly.

5. Add the turkey (or other meat) to the pan and heat through.

6. Stir in the tomatoes.  Serve with rice.



So add curry to the list of culinary delights that my husband has introduced me to, including hard shell crabs, raw oysters and clams, and everything Korean. 

Here is how much turkey is left, with the obligatory fork for scale.  Man, that's a lot of bird.  (Have I mentioned that yet??)

No comments:

Post a Comment