Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Pork Curry

Tonight we are having Pork Curry, Rice, and Green Beans.  This takes some time, but is actually very simple.  Here's how you can enjoy this meal too:

Ingredients
3/4 to 1lb (or more) stew meat, can be pork, beef, chicken cubes or even sweet potatoes for a vegetarian meal
3 to 6 T curry powder (like I said, I wasn't discounting the existing staples in my house.  And yes, curry powder is absolutely a staple in my house!)
1 chopped onion -- I couldn't actually afford an onion this week, so I used about 1 T dried minced onion
Water to cover
2 T flour
Salt and pepper to taste

Here are some additional things to add if you aren't on a budget:
1 cup applesauce
1 cup shredded coconut
1 chopped tomato


Directions:
Brown the meat in 1 T cooking oil in a large pot
Pour water in to cover by a few inches
Add onion and curry powder (and applesauce, tomato, and coconut if using)
Bring to a simmer and then cook covered two hours [or transfer into a slow cooker and cook 4 hours on high setting or 8 hours on low setting]
Twenty minutes before serving, cook the rice.
Ten minutes before serving, scoop out about a cup of the sauce and whisk in the 2 T flour into it
Pour the mixture back into the remaining liquid and bring to a boil to thicken.
Season with salt and pepper and serve with the rice and green beans

I don't have the nutrition facts on this meal, but it seems pretty balanced.  Now, I know that this probably isn't the most kid-friendly menu.  Tonight I am sure my son will only eat the rice and green beans, so I will make him a nitrate-free hot dog we had leftover from last week.  By leaving out the curry powder, this meal will be bland but just as nutritious and maybe more acceptable to a child's palate.  If you had BBQ sauce, you could shred the meat, drain most of the cooking liquid, and then mix BBQ sauce in.
Tomorrow: Red Beans and Rice

No comments:

Post a Comment